Monday, February 9, 2009

Valentine

I found my ruler. Specifically, I found it under my foot, in two pieces. Ah, well.

This week's model is a little somethin'-somethin' for the lovers. Aw, yeah.


This Valentine was a pretty fun model to make. It actually starts life as a traditional (but versatile) bird base. Two flaps become the top of the heart (front and back), and two flaps become the arrow. The flaps are largely consumed by the folding. My first attempt at this model was with a standard 5-7/8" square of origami paper. It very quickly became too small to fold.

This model was folded from a 13-3/4" square of red origami paper. The completed Valentine is almost 9-1/2" from arrow tip to arrow tail. (I made a new ruler!) The model was designed by Robert J. Lang. Folding instructions may be found in his book Origami Design Secrets.

No comments: