Monday, February 2, 2009

Hina dolls

Here we see Mr. and Mrs. Samurai at home.


These traditional hina dolls are two-piece models, designed once again by Jun Maekawa. (Hey, it's a long book.) They are a lot of fun to make, although they tend to get thick and stiff near the end of the folding sequence, making them somewhat difficult to stand. The costumes are completely separate from the dolls, meaning it is possible to make additional costumes for them. For instance, here we see Mr. and Mrs. Samurai at the discotheque.


(Yes. I know. I not only made paper dolls, I made different outfits for the paper dolls. I don't care, I'm still macho.)

The dolls themselves are each made from a 5-7/8" square of black origami paper. The home costumes are each made from a 5-7/8" square of patterned origami paper. The party outfits are each made from a piece of shiny wrapping paper cut into a 6" square. The completed models are approximately 2" tall. (Yup, still no ruler.) The folding patterns for these dolls may be found in Maekawa's book Genuine Origami.

3 comments:

Doogie said...

Real men are secure enough to make paper dolls...playing with them, on the other hand...

Karen said...

I enjoyed this so much, both the photo and the commentary. On the strength of this article, I bought the book and began making my own Hina Dolls. They are so much fun!

Wayne said...

Thanks Karen! I think you'll enjoy the book. It's very well done, and I think there's something there for all skill levels.