Friday, February 22, 2008

Zing butterfly

I do much, if not most, of my folding at Cafe Zing. The staff has gotten to know me quite well, mainly because I can't be bothered to bring any of my creations home with me, so the baristas end up with them.

Last week, I entered Zing to discover an addition to their menu.

One of my butterflies was nestled contently among the foliage. It's not real foliage, but then, it's not a real butterfly, so it all works out.

This butterfly is one of my favorite designs. It was created by Michael G. LaFosse, from his book Advanced Origami. I folded it from a 5 7/8" square of standard origami paper, resulting in a model with about a 3 3/4" wingspan (4 1/4" if you squash the wings down flat).

One difference between this model and LaFosse's design: LaFosse gives instructions for folding the head into something more recognizable. Unfortunately, I find that I am not talented enough to fold it using this size of paper, so the completed model gives sort of the impression of a butterfly head, as opposed to something that looks more real.

2 comments:

Penelope Walker said...

Your origami butterfly is beautiful! I just linked to your post in the MyPunchbowl party planning blog where I wrote a post about sending online invitations for a butterfly party.

Wayne said...

Thanks Penelope! I feel very honored. Perhaps I'll plan my own butterfly party in the near future.