Sunday, February 17, 2008

Octagonal box


This box is a going-away present I made for my friend Rachel, who is moving to California in a couple of weeks. She is actually the person who gave me the idea to post pictures of my origami on the Web, so it's only right that her present be the first picture.

This is a composite or "unit origami" model. The lid and base are each made from four sheets of standard origami paper cut to 4" squares. When assembled, the lid is a bit over 3 1/4" from side to side, and the base is a bit smaller. The white portions of the box are the undersides of the paper.

This design is by my favorite designer, Tomoko Fuse, from her book Fabulous Origami Boxes (truth in advertising). The lid (but not the base) also appear in her book Origami Boxes.

In the pictures below you can see the assembled box, the exteriors of both lid and base, and the interiors of both lid and base.



No comments: