Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Thing

Unit origami is a fun and creative pursuit. Oftentimes, units can be assembled in different ways. So you can create a different object based on how many units you have and how you assemble them. Consider the object below.


What is it exactly? I'm not sure. But it certainly is something.


This figure is made up of 24 identical units. Each unit was formed from one 3"x6" blue rectangle and one 3"x6" gold rectangle, folded together. The units were then assembled into the final form. It took me something like 3 hours and 45 minutes to create the rectangles (by ripping squares in half) and fold and assemble the units. I found this to be startlingly relaxing.

The pattern for the units may be found in Floral Origami Globes by Tomoko Fusè ("Alternate Fixes / Type II"... what does that mean?). I adapted the assembly instructions from a different part of the same book ("24-unit structure").

1 comment:

Widow_Lady302 said...

You know Wayne, it reminds me of an Escher drawing in some respects. Beautiful job my friend!