Monday, June 9, 2008

Silver and gold cube


This is the silver and gold cube (aka the "Burl Ives cube") which currently resides at my friend Kate's house. This lovely modular design consists of 12 identical units fitted together into a cube and takes advantage of the dual-sidedness of origami paper, incorporating the reverse side into the pattern.

My first attempt at this design was affectionately called the "skunk box"; it was black with white stripes. Alas, it did not survive moving day, perishing along with some of my other, fragile, possessions.

The silver and gold box is notable because I did not use two-sided silver-and-gold foil paper. (I now own such paper, but that is beside the point.) I was pretty set on the color scheme, so I actually made 12 separate units consisting of 1 sheet of gold foil placed atop 1 sheet of silver foil very carefully folded together as if it was one piece. (A saner person would have glued the sheets together.) So this piece is ultimately constructed of a hefty 24 sheets of paper.

This cube was designed by Lewis Simon. A folding sequence for it may be found in Practical Origami by Rick Beech.

No comments: