Monday, May 12, 2008

Hot and cool cubes


The hot and cool cubes were fun models to make. When I make a box, I usually pick out the colors I want to use first and then decide on the design. With other types of unit origami, however, I generally choose my design first and then decide on the colors. In this case, I decided I wanted to make two interlocking cubes and then decided to do them in hot and warm colors. It was an easy decision. I like using the six primary and secondary colors all together (as seen in earlier posts), and the three-dimensional symmetry of the cube model lends itself well to using three colors apiece. I think the decision to divide the colors into hot and cold (instead of some other, arbitrary divisions) was an unconscious desire to maximize contrast between the two cubes.

The units (and interlocking cubes themselves) were designed by Tomoko Fuse. Folding patterns for them may be found in her excellent book Unit Origami.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its so mathy! This one should be a sculpture.